Thursday, July 28, 2011

If Restaurants Serve Smaller Portions, Will They Offer Lower Prices?

According to the NPD Group, a consumer and retail market research firm based out of Chicago, IL, consumers are clamoring to eat smaller portions when they go out. Whether people want to lose weight, cut down on unhealthy food or want to eat more smaller meals throughout the day, out of the 5000 people asked,
...57 percent...said they want to eat smaller portions in the coming year, indicating that serving sizes will increasingly influence the choices consumers make, said Dori Hickey, NPD’s director of product management and author of the report.
I have no problem with this at all, but I do have one concern,
For restaurants, the increased interest in portion control offers an opportunity, she said...With consumers aspiring to eat smaller servings, restaurants can “reset the consumer vision of what a real portion is..."
Perhaps it's the skeptical part of me talking, but I hope this opportunity to serve customers smaller portions also includes the vision for restaurants to lower prices. If you give me less food, give me a lower price. What do you think?